Migrant workers all around the world make the products we buy and harvest the food we eat.
- The job probably won't pay what the broker promised;
- They don't often know about the compound interest on their debt, which increases every month;
- There are illegal wage deductions and unexpected fees;
- Their passports may be taken away so that they can't complain or flee;
- Their work visas will tie them to their employer, giving them no other alternative way to dig themselves out of debt;
- What they also don't know is that they may end up for months - even years -- in slave-like conditions or debt bondage.
How do we end this practice? Verité's Help Wanted initiative begins with fair hiring worldwide.
Our Help Wanted Initiative addresses the recruitment and hiring practices of workers in all supply chains. Explore our Fair Hiring Toolkit to learn more.